The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Mom Scare!

This baby is one of the happiest I've ever seen.  This was him at the dentist a week ago.  He is always smiling and enjoying himself and loves to make other people smile too. 
So when we woke up the morning of family pictures I knew he wasn't feeling great.  He just wasn't smiley and he had red cheeks.  I took his temperature and he had a low grade fever.  I figured he was having a rough teething day and wasn't going to let that stop us.  We went and took pictures but skipped his individual shots because he was just a little cranky.  We brought him home and I snuggled with him for a few hours.  I felt his fever go up and checked - 102.7 so Tyler got up to get him some medicine.  At that moment he started to have a seizure in my arms.  He was jerking and his eyes rolled back in his head.  His lips turned blue and I couldn't really tell if he was breathing, his whole body was jerking violently and foam started coming out of his mouth.  I was terrified. I just kept holding him and telling him to breath.  It lasted what seemed like forever (but was actually probably only a minute or two) and then we ran and got in the car and Tyler peeled out of the driveway.  At the bottom of the driveway he stopped the car and gave Noah a blessing.  The blessing was simple - he'd be ok and we'd know what to do.  We raced to the ER.  After the blessing he stopped jerking and just lay in my arms grunting.  His color didn't impove but he stopped foaming and his eyes were closed and he wouldn't open them.  

We got to the ER and checked him in.  When we got into the room and I sat down on the bed with him he finally started crying and I was so relieved!  Crying was at least a normal sound and at least he was looking at me now.  The rest of the day was marked with misery for our little guy. He had an IV with fluids and fever reducers, then a catheter to test his urine and a chest x-ray.  Each time he'd get comfortable enough to fall asleep in my arms they came in to do something else to him.  After several hours we finally were sent home.  It was a febrile seizure - fairly common in small children when a fever spikes suddenly.  After we started talking I remembered that Ksenya and Darla have both had one too (though not nearly as violent or as long).

It was a good reminder to me to sit down and hold my babies.  To just enjoy listening to them make normal sounds, even crying is such a miracle and a blessing.  I'm also thankful for Preisthood power and modern medicine.  Slow down.  All that we have is so very temporary.  I'm thankful to know that there are things that are permanent - and one of them, my favorite one, is family!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Um, yikes! What a horribly scary story. Thanks for the reminder how precious these sweet babes are!