The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Friday, June 10, 2016

Tail Racing

King Salmon are proving to be a great source of frustration for me.  "Go to Alaska" they said, "Try fishing" they said, "It will be fun" they said.  And they were so RIGHT - about the fun part.
 Tyler and I decided to buy a 24 hour King stamp.  You can get a 24 hour stamp or an annual but we'd have to go like 10 times to make the annual worth it and the King's only run for about a month and a half so we knew we wouldn't have time for that.  Here we are at Eklutna or what the locals call "The Tail Race".  I wouldn't consider it combat fishing, but it's certainly not solitary either (not even at 3 am).
Ty started with a buddy Friday morning around 5 am.  After a couple hours he headed home.  But that stamp is still good and I'm not one to miss out on getting my money's worth so Tyler and I headed back out that night with friends on a super fun double date.  The water is so blue it's like gatorade and the fish are so big that when they jump (yes jump) right out of the water it startles me every time.

Meet Salmon Roe. It's one of the nastiest things I've ever seen.  Gone are the pretty flourescent colored "salmon eggs" of my childhood and here's this slimy, smelly, nasty actual fish egg stuff.  So.  Gross.  

Here we are around 11:30 pm.  Yep, still light.  We enjoyed a few hours of fishing that night and determined not to get skunked headed back out at 3 am.  Yes, you heard me.  3 a.m.  
Even at that hour, it wasn't empty and it wasn't dark, but it was very peaceful and quite beautiful.  We enjoyed watching the eagles fly over the river and the fog come in and of course, watching those darn fish jump just 4-5 feet away from us.

Skunked for the 3rd time in 24 hours we decided to call it quits.  Until next time King Salmon.  Until next time.

Don't mind the squinty lady next to my hot husband.  This girl doesn't do makeup at 3 am.



No comments: