The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Saturday, September 10, 2016

The Butte of my Bucket List

Ever since we arrived in Alaska I've been hearing about "The Butte".  It seems like a rite of passage for living in the valley and while it didn't look like much (just a small hill as compared to the surrounding mountains) it really is the only hill in the valley between the mountains so we finally got around to hiking it after Amber and her kids arrived.  
It was a LOT more challenging than I expected.  Our kids counted 516 stairs ascending the side of the 'hill'.  It was a great adventure and though my knees were a bit sore when it was over (and my legs probably shook for 2 days afterward) the views were incomprable.  

Down there you can see where Tyler thinks we want to live.  I'm pretty much convinced as well - look at those farms by the river.  It's absolutely breathtaking.  



The panorama was pretty cool too - you can see the entire valley (360 degrees) from the top of the butte.  You can see the glacier on the left and then the farms and then the river on the right.

Daddy was the hero of the day and carried Noah all the way to the top.  The little guy is such a fatty and is getting harder and harder for me to carry.  



This is the other side of the hill - you can hike this side too but instead of trails you have steep gravel paths and my legs were having none of it.  

There's the glacier in the background.  

Happy hikers.  I wish I had counted how many times I heard, "Look at me! I'm gonna go touch the butt!"  So funny. 





Thanks to my patient husband who indulges my love of hiking even though I just learned a few days ago that he doesn't enjoy hiking.  Go figure - he just goes because he knows I love it.  What a good guy.

No jumping!


Yet another successful Alaska adventure under our belt - we are getting more daring all the time.  

No comments: