The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Sisters

I was raised in a fairly matriarchal family.  Not that the men weren't good patriarchs -they were, but there was a significant female presence.  We call it the "Guymon Woman Thing".  Watching my Mom and her sisters, and my own relationship with my sisters over the years, along with the ups and downs of raising these four hoodlums has taught me a few things about sisters:

1)  You don't have to BE the same.  Our differences make us magical.

2) You don't have to think/feel the same.  We don't have to cave to get along, agreement isn't a prerequisite for a healthy relationship.

3)  Another's strength doesn't make you weak.  Sisters can pool resources and be thankful.

4) Love is where it's at.  Doesn't matter how long it's been, what the circumstances are, the when's where's or why's of our interactions -  Sisters are all about love (unless we're fighting).

Sisters are something special.  I guess time will teach my girls that too.

No comments: