The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Book Club

I joined a book club.  It's Katie's fault.  You know Katie, my only friend in Alaska up until a few months ago.  Well - she is trying to get me to branch out into the realm of social interaction and used one of my weaknesses - books.  I love reading and more than that I love reading books that OTHER people recommend.  I have a tendency to pick the same books over and over and rarely force myself into the realm of non-fiction.  

This is last month's book.  I didn't read it because I have this thing against paying money for books I'm not sure I'll love and the library didn't have it in.  I missed the book club where they discussed it because I was working and also because why would I want to hear a discussion on a book I'd never read?

Meet: "7: an experimental mutiny against excess" by Jen Hatmaker

Well, the library finally got it in and I read it in about 4 days.  Talk about a punch in the gut!  Today I went grocery shopping.  Easter is in 5 days and I haven't prepared anything (I've been sick).  I found myself in the "Easter" (read- CANDY & cheap plastic everythings) aisle with dozens of other mothers.  Right there I wanted to cry.  I actually teared up, and not for the reason you might think.  In years past you may have found me crying in that aisle because I wanted to buy my lovelies something magical for Easter and couldn't.  Recently our financial situation has improved a great deal and I could have purchased them baskets full of creative colorful 'magic'.  

My tears were in the fact that I was missing it - missing the point of life when I let all the "stuff" and clutter crowd out what really matters.  I'll be honest - this book changed my life.  Read it.  You might cry.  

No comments: