The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Monday, February 29, 2016

Tech junkies

Sometimes I hate what a techno-junkie society we live in.  Even my baby is already addicted.
We have a few extra cell phones laying around that the kids use to practice their foreign language lessons and music theory, scripture mastery and even use for a remote for the roku (best app ever).  Well, occasionally these get left out and once Noah gets ahold of them it's a struggle to get them back.
I'm not sure how he does it but he's figured out (he's 1) how to play the ringtones on the phone and he loves it!  He'll play them over and over and over.  I have a silly ringtone that I made from a message that Grandpa Horse left on our answering machine ones.  He likes to speak, "Navajo" which is his version of jibberish and the message made me laugh so hard I've saved it for probably 5+ years now and play it once in a while when I'm missing him.

That is Noah's favorite ringtone.  He'll play them over and over and guess what happens if you try to take the phone away?


You guessed it - it's not pretty.  Silly boy.
Also recently we've decided that our hard fast rule of no technology except on the weekends is depriving our kids of the opportunities to experience choice and moderation on their own.  This was a hard sell for Daddy but he finally convinced me to loosen my grip a little and let them make some choices.  We're learning gradually that technology, though painfully addictive, doesn't satisfy and that other options for entertainment are so much more productive.  We still have a little more movie/game time than I like, but they're learning to self-govern and that's an important lesson as well.

No comments: