The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Friday, November 1, 2013

Happy Halloween 2013

I love Halloween.  I had a hard time getting into it this year, but once we had the vision it came off pretty well.  Since my kids have decided they are too big and too many to stick with one theme, we had to break it down into pairs.
Rainbow Brite is before their time, but this throwback to my childhood made my heart happy.  Darla loved her "Wainbow dwess" with stars on the sleeve cuffs and boot bottoms.  Twink was the cutest thing ever and was so soft and cuddly that I loved holding her.  The bonus was that most of these two outfits was made with old bandana's that I had saved.
My personal favorite for the year - Megamind and Metroman.   This is one of our family's favorite movies of ALL TIME!  If you haven't seen it - you need to.  The best part was that Kabe took to heart the part and kept saying, "I'm shaking in my custom baby seal leather boots," and "extremely handsome master of all villainy".  Brig even got in on the quotable action by smiling and saying, "And I love you random citizen".  It was perfect.
Ayvri had been begging to be Ariel for the longest time.  I'm not even sure she has seen the original little mermaid but the concept of seashell bra and bright red hair was just too much for her.  This one was easy.  We used food coloring to make her beautiful blonde hair red and then we had to bleach it out 2 days later.  It was a little harsh on her already fried hair but well worth the joy of watching her flip her hair and feel like a magical creature all night long.
Ksenya is in an interesting age.  At what point is a child too big for trick-or-treating?  She wanted to dress up, but finding an age appropriate costume was tricky.  She wants to feel cute, but not in the "get the attention of boys" kind of way (thank heavens).  She is very into drawing Anime characters right now and we had seen some fun make-up techniques on pinterest and decided to try it out.  She is an anime character.  It was a little vague, but she enjoyed it and that was enough for me.  
I have to include our trick-or-treating gang.  The Oveson's were minions and were so dang super cute.  Loved these little yellow faces!

And here is the set-up.  We all pile into the back of the truck.  Adults take the tailgate and when the truck stops we take turns hefting all 10+ of them out of the truck.  They run to the door, we shout "what do you say" and then we pile them back in.  I love trick-or-treating in our neighborhood because it isn't crowded and we get to see all our favorite neighbors, some of whom only buy candy or make special goodies for our kids who are the only ones that hit our subdivision.

Here's to another Happy Halloween!

No comments: