The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cowboy Up!

Thanks to some awesome people we got tickets to the Rodeo and had an amazing time. I had forgotten how much I LOVE a good rodeo and this one didn't disappoint. It was particularly fun to watch my kids enjoy it. Uncle Heath spoiled us withconcessions all night long and introduced my children to cotton candy (a first).
When he brought it over Brigham just stared at it like he didn't know what it was. Uncle Heath stuffed a bite into his mouth and I wish I had a picture of his face turn from confusion to pure delight. Within minutes he was covered in sticky blue mess and the happiest boy on earth. One highlight was the mutton bustin'. Kabe and Ayvri decided they'd like to ride a sheep so we signed them up. Kabe hung on for dear life but slid under the sheep and didn't let go. He got stomped pretty good and ended up crying pretty hard until I told him he had pinky promised me not to cry and that cowboys don't cry, they just dust themselves off. He sucked it up and in a few minutes was bragging to everyone he could find about getting trampled by a sheep. "Mom, sheep have really hard feet," he said. Ayvri saw her brother cry and started to chicken out but there was no time so I threw her on her sheep and she got a choke hold on it. It dumped her off and she got stepped on a few times too. I got to carry her off the field because she wouldn't move, just stood out there crying. When I told her to "cowboy up" she said, "Mom, I'm not a cowboy, I'm a cowgirl" and brushed herself off and started laughing. She had holes in her skirt from where the sheep stepped which she has gotten very proud of. My Ksenya was too sensible to even want to do something like ride a sheep, but she enjoyed the rest of the rodeo and was so sweet about being kept up very late and getting a little cold. By the end both Brig and Ayvri had fallen asleep and everyone was pretty tired, but happy happy happy. There's cowboy in our blood I guess.

2 comments:

Oveson's said...

So super brave!!! I love how she got a whole in her skirt!! So fun!! I might have to bring cotten candy just so I can watch brigs face.

Amber said...

glad you could enjoy the rodeo, I knew when we couldn't use the tickets that your little family would love to go. So proud of Kabe and Ayvri being brave enough to try the sheep. Happy the tickets didn't go to waste.