The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Back to School

School again? Mommy groans inside. But this year is a little different. This year Mommy gets to go to school with the big kids. That's right. Mommy has rejoined the ranks of employed. This crazy turn of events just sort of happened in a blink and all of a sudden I'm part of the work force which I happily left 10 years ago. I won't say I'm thrilled. Honestly - I could have waited 5 more years, but it is a great job. I get to be a Kindergarten aid in an incredible school with a great teacher and 27 darling little kiddos. It's challenging, and exhausting, and I miss my littles all morning long, but then I come home at lunch and they get a little Daddy time that they haven't really had for the last few years and there is that little bonus of some steady pay as we build the business so for now, I'm grateful.
One of the best parts is getting to be at school with my "K's". They are both LOVING their new school - GPA. It's Montessori based and I'm so pleased that they are learning to love learning without all the rewards and punishments of traditional public school. They have two great teachers and are really thriving. They also get to ride to school with me in the mornings, I stop in and say goodbye at lunch and then they ride the bus home after school together.
On the first day Brig was really upset he didn't get to school (Ayvri is fine with the idea that we will do preschool at home . . . . at some point when Mommy gets her ducks in a row). Brig likes to tell people he goes to weeschoool which makes me laugh. He wants to get on the bus and wants a backpack but when I get home and he's cuddled up with his Daddy my heart is happy. Thank heavens it's our year off from Kindergarten (we'll do Kindergarten every other year for 7 more years). I still have days where I wish we lived on a deserted island, but as school goes - this was the easiest "back to school" yet.

No comments: