The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Sunday, April 17, 2011

April Reading

My book for April was "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner. I had tried to read this book before years ago and gave up. I don't appreciate books that swear, in fact it's kind of a pet peeve of mine but I've always had a morbid curiosity with death and how people deal with it. It was interesting to hear the voices of different people and see the situation from different perspectives. Though I don't know that I would recommend this book, it was sickly interesting and made me consider myself, my convictions, and got me thinking a lot about what would happen if I died.Since I finished this book really quickly I decided to read another. I chose "The Diary of Anne Frank". If you're ever having a pity party this is a great book to read. It put so much into perspective for me. One part that stood out to me was as follows:
"Riches can all be lost, but that happiness in your own heart can only be veiled, and it will still bring you happiness again, as long as you live. As long as you can look fearlessly up into the heavens, as long as you know that you are pure within and that you will still find happiness." (143).
I'm hoping to finish a third "Standing for Something" by Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley in the next 2 weeks. It is amazing and when I read it I can hear his voice in my head and I miss him so very much.

No comments: