The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Monday, July 13, 2009

Bugs, bugs and more bugs.

I know you're getting sick of this - but the fun continues . . .Meet "fuzzy" . . . he's a giant leopard moth caterpillar that we were trying to raise but he was a little too fast for Mommy and escaped his bottle. That means he either built his cocoon somewhere in our house or got eaten by the dogs (I'm hoping for the latter, although it would be fun to see the moth).
This is just one example of the swarm of giant dragonfly's we had in the garden a few days ago. When I say swarm I mean it - some of them were the size of small birds and there were dozens and dozens of them flying all around.
This is the web of a funnel spider. The spider came out and gave us quite a fright and sadly, my camera wasn't poised (our noses were inches from the web when he must have felt our breathe and came charging out). He wasn't a big spider, but the web probably stretched about 4 feet across.
Oh - here's yet another Cicada exoskeleton found and left in the wild. I think we've seen enough specimens of this variety to last a lifetime (including the one on the garage door when I opened it this morning . . . scared me to death).

1 comment:

Heath 'n Jeri said...

OK, Nik! I was going to have to reprimand you for only taking pictures of bugs. Because we all know how I feel about bugs, and how I feel about those people over there that you live with. Fortunately for you, you also took some of the people, so this once I will forgive. But please remember that in the future I will not be so easy going. fs