The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Friday, February 20, 2015

Introducing Noah Hirum Petersen

Expecting a similar birth to the last two I was excited when I woke up around midnight with steady contractions.  I jumped in the tub and relaxed a little and by 1:00 am I woke up Tyler.  I had promised him that I wouldn't wait until the last minute like I did with the girls so we got up and dressed and headed to the hospital.  We got checked in and contractions were very regular.  The nurses made sure that Dr. Sanders was on call and let him know I was there.  I made sure to tell everyone that I go "fast" so to be ready at any minute.  We walked the halls and then I got back into the tub at the hospital.  At that point I realized that this felt very different.  My back hurt.  I got out of the tub and Tyler worked on me a little while I stood bending over a cart.  I felt like I might need to push so I got back into the bed.  My Dr. arrived and we started pushing.  I'll be honest, it was the worst.  At one point I may have said, "I can't do this".  It was so HARD.  Labor had never been this hard.  He did an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok.  With every push I felt like we were taking 2 steps back.  I was exhausted.  This was the pattern for 45 minutes.  Finally Mr. Lucky Chance descended.  We just kept pushing and the Dr. broke my water.  A few more pushes.  Just a few more.  Finally he came - and I was in shock.  This was a BIG boy!
Here he is - 8 lbs 13 oz.  My biggest baby.  His head was pretty smashed and his nose was bruised completely blue.  The kids called him "Baby Blue Nose" for a week.  Poor little guy was really wedged in there.

I have a lovely picture with all of my babies in the hospital right after they were born.  This time this is all we got.  I was so exhausted I couldn't even lift my head off the bed.  Oh well - that will teach me to have thought, "I've got this" before, expecting it to be another delivery like Darla's.  

At least I had beautiful fingernails (thanks Aunt Jeri).  My new little buddy nursed for about a half hour and then we sent him off to the nursery so Daddy and I could sleep for a few hours.  I've never been so tired.  

That morning the kids came to visit.  We were so excited to get home and after the 24 hour limit (maybe 23) we arrived home to this cute little message on the white board - Happy Birthday Baby Brother.  

Naming him was also pretty difficult.  I had really wanted him named Weste Heath or Westley Heath.  Seems like they come with a name in mind though because it just didn't fit.  We considered Orson and Chance (really) also - but after about the 5th round of elimination of lists we ended on Noah Hirum.  It is the right name and suits him very well.  

Here we are at home - my whole herd feeling just right.  How did we feel right without him?  The Spirit that new babies bring home with them is simply incredible and for the first few days it feels just sacred.
Here's Daddy - my hero holding little Man in the hospital.  He was so patient with me as I whined and fussed.  

Here is his old man head compliments of Aunt Jeri.  There's still a lot of swelling here so I'm sure it will get better.  Aunt Jeri gave me the PERFECT baby gift - a brand new shiny red crock pot and 9 freezer meals to go with it.  

Here is his official first picture.  Poor swollen little buddy.  Don't worry - we will spoil you.


See?  Spoiled rotten just 2 days after getting home.  You are the biggest hit and your sisters are hopelessly devoted.

No comments: