The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Letters

I read a book a couple months ago entitled the "Wednesday Letters".  The premise of this book is that the father figure dies and as the children are going through his things they find boxes of letters, one for every Wednesday of their marriage from the father to the mother.  While I have no intention of solving familial issues or unlocking mysteries of past skeletons, I do love the idea of a weekly letter and would like to be more consistent in writing to and about my children so someday they can look back and have a record of our ordinary wonderful life together, and so they can be reminded of the things that are most important to me.

This week we've tried again to redouble our efforts to do those things that matter most.  Last Sunday was a beautiful fast meeting - full of testimony and spirit.  I guess right now is a "high time" where things Spiritual are concerned for me.  I hope I'm not the only one that finds myself in peaks and valleys of spirituality, although I strive for consistency.  I have loved my scripture study and have been reading from the book, "Stand ye in Holy Places" by Herald B. Lee.  It is wonderful.

Just a few days ago we decided we needed a night with just each other and the best place we could think to go was the temple.  Having an announcement of the new temple to be built here is wonderful, but doesn't remove the immediate need for us to worship in the temple.  We headed to St. George and enjoyed a blissful time doing initiatory work.  It has been SO long since I did this work and my Spiritual cup was filled to overflowing.

I felt that same overwhelming spirit today as I taught my beautiful primary class.  We discussed covenants.  As I prepared our lesson I remembered Grandpa Guymon and how he always said, "I can tie that knot" - regarding the sealing ordinance.  I brought some rope and we discussed the covenants we make at baptism.  I held up one end of the rope as we discussed what we promise and the other end as we discussed what Heavenly Father promises us.  Then we tied the knot.  I testified that as we keep our covenants, and God ALWAYS keeps his promises to us, then we can bind Satan so he cannot have power over us.  I also reminded my cute class that when we fail to keep our covenants, or when we let our obedience "slip" (like a knot slipping) then the knots are untied and loosened and Satan has more power over us.

What an amazing thing covenants are!  I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father is willing to make promises with me - even knowing that I'll break my promises occasionally.  The gift of Repentance is so humbling to me, and I want to utilize it more!  I have loved the increase in the Spirit that I have felt as I try diligently to read and study and pray and not lose patience with the kids.  If only I were "there" in that department.  I think the harder I try to be a "good mother" the more I am faced with moments that push  me to my limit.  I still yell.  I still get frustrated.  I still have moments where I know I'm doing it wrong - but do it anyway.  And yet, I hope I'm getting better.  I hope I'm loving more.  I hope I'm listening better.  Maybe that's what Paul meant when he said, "We hope all things".

And so for my kids, if there is one wish I could have for you it would be that you will MAKE  & KEEP SACRED COVENANTS with your Heavenly Father!  This has been the source of the greatest joy, the greatest comfort, the greatest peace and the greatest hope of my life.


1 comment:

Darla said...

How I love this post! Thanks for being so honest and personal. I have the same wish for my family. Love you to the moon and back.