The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Monday, October 17, 2011

Conference

I love General Conference. It's one of my favorite things in the whole world. I wish I knew how to teach my kids to appreciate it, but for them it's mostly "Everyone be quiet so I can hear this, you'll appreciate it when you're older". We've pitched a tent, we've done bingo and coloring pages and all manner of conference 'tools' and still, there's a small level of contention that comes from trying to include the kids.
This year since we're living in a less than controlled environment I decided to take the hands-off approach. I decided that if they didn't want to participate that was fine with me, as long as they left me alone to do so. It was an acceptable solution this time. Still, at one point I got up to go to the bathroom and when I got back I found this. Kabe and Brig had cuddled up together to watch the musical number. They were both completely entranced and didn't want to give me my seat back. I sat behind them as they listened to an entire talk, completely quiet and still. Slightly shocked and completely impressed I couldn't even listen to the speaker I was so mesmerized by the sight of my boys, my rowdy, noisy, completely boy-ish boys, sitting quietly listening to one of God's Prophet's. What a teaching moment. Glad I got a picture to remember it by, considering during the next session they both spent time screaming in their room. There may or may not have been blood involved.

No comments: