The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Free as a Bird!

Happy Independence Day! Here is the herd we followed to the parade - all decked out in their red white and blue's. Needless to say we caused a scene everywhere we went, with murmurs of, "Now THAT's a lot of kids!" and "Look at that!" all around us. Yes, this is Utah, but even here this many children causes a little stir.
We needed festive fingernails for the occasion - thanks to Sharpee for making this Mommy's job just a little easier!
What fourth celebration is complete without snow cones and cotton candy? This little girl was in sugar heaven with her first introduction to the sticky poison.
Yay for sisters. I haven't seen this one in quite a while (my Ayvri was a baby since we really got to hang out) and it's so great to have her and her herd here for a few weeks!!!
Another silly Ayvri - can't get enough of this girly. I also loved that the kids all sported their cowboy boots with their shorts. Yes, we're rednecks, and that's ok!
This little boy just can't get enough of Aunt Amber's new puppy Teddy Bear. Poor dog didn't get any peace all day.
Brig decided at one point he was done and screamed like a girl for a solid 10 minutes while everyone around us at the park looked on in a, "where IS his mother" fashion. When he stopped he ran over to me and said, "mama!" very happily and they all looked in disbelief. I know, I could have intervened, but we were outdoors and I figured he just needed to let it all out. Don't judge.
Here's a happy Mama-son combination - I think he might look a little like her, what do you think?
Papa took to policing how far out into the road we could go after the police man on the motorcycle honked politely at Kabe three times while Kabe stared on in complete oblivion.
Had to. Sorry.
Here's the Lion's Club truck. Why did I add this one? Well, pretty much to tease my big brother who is now officially and unequivocally OLD! I mean, don't you have to be old to be in the Lions club and wear the yellow vest and all? Well? That's him, hiding behind the guy in the cowboy hat . . . flipping burgers and selling balloons and running the dunk tank. I'm so proud!
Brig didn't much care for the sirens on the fire trucks either. Pretty much he was terrorized.
Guess how many of these kiddos belonged to our herd? 12 . . . yep, you heard me . . . 12! And Grandma wanted to buy them all a balloon (whereupon I pointed out all the devastation that could follow), whereupon she agreed to buy them popsicles later instead.
Another cutie - her mother got up early to make her these darling bows . . . show off!
I can't get enough of her face.
Girls - gotta love em. In this case gotta love the orthodontist that will treat them someday.
One of my favorite faces - "muscles" as I lovingly refer to him as, is always (ok almost always) happy to see his Aunt Toni and never hides from my camera.
When it's all said and done we march back to the car, very sticky and happy, albeit a little hot.
These are the cutest little patriots I've ever seen! So fun to share one of my favorite holidays with them. I'm also SO thankful to be back in a small town where the festivities feel much safer and more personal and I'm not constantly on edge. It was also nice not to have to suck down cigarette smoke all day long and not have to pay for parking. I loved being a Texican, but I'm a small town girl.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Looks like such a fun 4th! I was thinking about you that morning in church as we sang the Star Spangled Banner. Such a patriotic family! If I ever get back to my blog, I'll post pics from our 4th. I think you'll appreciate my girls fingernails!!