The Petersen Herd

The Petersen Herd

Monday, June 7, 2010

Facing My Demons

Growing up one of the favorite things to do on the farm was swing off the top of the barn on this big rope swing. I can't tell you how many times I've climbed to the roof and cried while any number of cousins/uncles/etc tried to coax my to do it. In all my life I'd never dared swing off the barn and so finally, at nearly 30 I decided it was time to face my fears.Thank heavens Nolan was there to help me do it - I made him hold the back of my shirt until the last second and he was a great pep talker. We also got Jeri to do it for the first time and seeing her a little nervous made me feel better about my lifelong fear. I also got to see my baby girl climb the barn and swing off 7 - yes 7 times!!! She will never let me forget that she is braver than me but it was nice to see her overcome her fears and see that proud happy look on her face when she came down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Toni, I sung off of that rope swing before you did?? Wow that's kinda crazy to me. It took all sorts of talking into before I would do it, but eventually I did.

Heath 'n Jeri said...

I am so proud of your girly! She is much more brave than you or I, for sure! As for us, we may have jumped but I fear we are still big chickens at heart.